Want To Know The Secret Ingredient In our Favourite Fruit Cake?
Who doesn't love a slice of delicious tea fruit loaf on a sunny spring day? We certainly do. There's one recipe we swear by and it has a secret ingredient you may not expect to find in there. There's all the usual ingredients: flour, currants, egg, creamed honey, plus a delicious tea AND coffee blend by Teagosa.
Whether you’re a baking pro or cake making newbie, this easy to follow recipe should have you cooking up a scrumptious cake in no time.
175g currants (or semi-sweet chocolate chips)
270g plain flour
3 teaspoons of baking powder
Pinch of fine salt
175g of Three Foragers creamed honey
1 large cage-free egg
And the secret ingredient…
300ml of Teagosa Coffee & English Breakfast Tea
We recommend beginning this recipe the day before you intend to indulge in the cake.
1. The night before, warm 300ml of Teagosa Coffee & English Breakfast Tea. Stir in the currants and sultanas and allow them to soak, covered, overnight.
2. To begin baking the next day, preheat the oven to 300F and line a 2lb loaf tin with parchment paper. Alternatively, you can use paper loaf cake boxes.
3. Add the flour, egg and honey to the bowl of soaked currants and stir together. There may appear to be a lot of liquid but this is fine.
4. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and bake for 1 hour 45 minutes. Check the cake after 1 hour 15 minutes to see whether it is ready ahead of time.
5. Once fully cooked, allow to cool on a wire rack for ten minutes.
6. Finally, cut into thick slices and enjoy! We like to spread on some butter, plus, an extra helping of creamed honey on top.
Easy as that!
Incorporating Teagosa’s Coffee & English Breakfast Tea into the cake gives a great coffee twist to the conventional tea loaf. Plus, if you’re ever struggling to decide whether to bake a coffee cake or a tea loaf, this recipe is the perfect compromise!
Will you be trying it out? If so, we’d love to see photos. Share them with us on Facebook. Or, if you’ve got any of your own creamed honey recipes that you’d like to share, send them to us here or on Facebook. We’re always on the lookout for tasty new recipes!
You can find both Three Foragers Creamed Honey and Teagosa Coffee & English Breakfast Tea online, or in a range of stores throughout Western Canada, such as Nesters Market and Buy-Low Foods. For those of you in Saskatoon, you’ll be glad to hear we are now back at Saskatoon Farmers’ Market on Wednesdays, as well as Saturday and Sundays.